M&S’s Percy Pig brings home the bacon, after knocking Aldi’s Kevin the Carrot off his festive popularity perch in 2021
Regardless of what you think about tinsel or whether it’s scandalous to put your tree up before December 1st, there’s one thing most marketers can agree on; the festive season well and truly starts when the first Christmas TV adverts hit our screens.
From the highly anticipated John Lewis advert to the tongue-in-cheek alternatives by budget retailers, Christmas TV adverts have become a staple on our screens to mark the holiday season.
The hype Christmas ads create can be felt in offices everywhere as colleagues ask: “Have you seen the [BRAND NAME] Christmas ad yet?!”. But how does this translate online? As digital marketers, we’re always keen to see the impact campaigns have online.
So, we set about investigating Google Trends data to see which Christmas ads customers are Googling the most – and which Christmas ad characters are creating the most buzz online (SPOILER ALERT: it’s not the crunchy vegetable you think this year!).
Data has been collected on the top Christmas TV ads from the six most popular retailers over the past five years to assess which is the most Googled Christmas TV ad – and which Christmas TV ad characters are standing the test of time.
Jump to key stats:
- Which groceries retailer has the most Googled Christmas advert?
- John Lewis Christmas ads still outperform Aldi online
- Kevin the Carrot is more popular than Aldi’s Christmas advert
- Kevin the Carrot beats John Lewis characters as the most Googled Christmas advert character
- Which is the most popular Christmas advert character: Kevin the Carrot tops the charts
- Aldi fans stay loyal to Kevin the Carrot, as Ebanana Scrooge is barely searched for online
- Percy Pig could steal Kevin the Carrot’s reign as the most popular Christmas advert character
Which groceries retailer has the most Googled Christmas advert?